Home care worker handed suspended sentence after armed death threats on colleagues

background-close-up-court-1415558 (2)

A home care worker has been handed a suspended sentence and restraining order after threatening to kill a number of his colleagues.

Derby Crown Court heard how Johnny Dinoia turned up at the office of Nationwide Care Services in September, armed with a kitchen knife, Derbyshire Live reported.

It is understood that the man, who pleaded guilty to affray and possession of a bladed article, mistakenly believed he was about to lose his job. He later admitted to the police he had drunk 20 beers before the incident and had no intention on carrying out the threats he made.

Story continues below

Handing him a six-month jail sentence, suspended for two years, Recorder Adrian Reynolds said: “Mr Dinoia, I want you to clearly understand I could easily justify sending you to prison for this.

“I am not going to do that because you have never been in trouble before and I accept you were upset about a number of things at the time.

“But I am very concerned that you continue to minimise what you did that day and I am concerned you still appear to have a problem with Nationwide Care Services, going round to the premises and making a nuisance of yourself.

“What I want you to clearly understand is that you get one chance to prove to me you are going to behave yourself in the future.”

According to the prosecution, Dinoia was offered reduced hours by his manager, who was concerned about his mental health.

Prosecuting, Eddie Leonard said: “On September 11, at 9.30am, his manager received a telephone call from him saying he was sitting in the park and his leg was hurting.

“She told him not to worry and that his work would be covered. At 12.30pm he phoned her again saying he’d had an argument with his wife and he wished to leave her.

“She offered him more support saying she would contact him on Monday. He was clearly upset and emotional saying things like ‘are you trying to get rid of me?’

“He was convinced he was going to lose his job and he then called a number of people (at the firm). He was upset and drunk and threatened to kill a number of members of staff and said he was going to throw himself in the river.”

Leonard said by 4pm Dinoia was in the car park at Nationwide and another member of the staff went to speak to him as he was agitated and angry and he picked up a stone and threw it at them.

She said his manager arrived at the office and saw the defendant sat on a chair by some bushes and she heard a bang on the side of her car, which was from an object thrown by Dinoia.

The police were called and the defendant ran off, but returned a short time later carrying a knife. He ran off again when the police arrived and he was arrested.

Philip Bown, his barrister, said his client was remorseful for his actions.

He said: “His behaviour was completely out of character and were it not for him being drunk and the complete misunderstanding about this telephone meeting that he was going to be dismissed this would never have happened.”

As part of the suspended sentence order, Recorder Reynolds ordered Dionia to attend 10 rehabilitation sessions with the probation service.

He also handed him a five-year restraining order, forbidding him from contacting four named members of staff at Nationwide and not to go within 50m of its offices in the city centre.

Tags : courtDerby Crown Courtjailedprosecution
Sarah Clarke

The author Sarah Clarke