The chief executive of Home Instead Senior Care has expressed relief after hearing that the government has chosen to drop its “ageist” and “draconian” plans to make over-50s shield.
The Sunday Times reported last week that that the Prime Minister and his closest aides were considering the possibility of forcing people over the age of 50 to stay at home in order to help prevent another nationwide lockdown.
The government has now shelved the plans following a backlash from Cabinet Ministers who urged Boris Johnson not the pursue such an “ageist” and “ill-thought-out” plan, reports The Telegraph.
In a letter published in The Sunday Times, Home Instead CEO Martin Jones, who himself falls with the over 50s age bracket, said he is thankful that the plans have been swiftly dropped, explaining that the policy would have been detrimental to the country’s economic and social wellbeing.
“I was pleased and relieved to see that the government has dropped its plans to make over-50s shield. The policy would have policy have left companies such as our own, where employees are not able to do their work from home, without a large portion of their valuable, experienced staff. It would also have spoken to a broader indifference to, and disregard for, ‘the elderly’ that is brewing in the UK,” he said.
“People over 50, be they 56-year-old CEOs or 83-year-old volunteers, are crucial to this country’s economic and social wellbeing. To ostracise from them from the very society to which they contribute so much with such a blunt, blanket legislation would have been truly draconian and – much like the virus itself – unquestionably ageist.”
Click here to view HCI’s interview with Martin Jones.