The Care Quality Commission has taken enforcement action to cancel the registration of a care provider in North Tyneside.
Allcare Community Care Services, which provided personal care to people in North Tyneside, Newcastle and Gateshead, is no longer legally allowed to operate as a care service after failing to address serious breaches to regulations.
The provider registered with the CQC in July 2017 and its first inspection in May 2018 was prompted in part by information shared by the police relating to an ongoing investigation.
Inspectors identified several breaches to regulations, including the lack of a registered manager and poor staff recruitment.
Some members of staff disclosed information on their DBS check in relation to previous cautions and convictions and no risk assessments were completed to show this had been investigated.
The service also failed to report deaths and serious incidents to the CQC, as required by law. It was therefore rated ‘Inadequate’ and placed into special measures.
Following the inspection, CQC took urgent enforcement action to restrict the number of people the service could provide care to. Conditions were also imposed on the service’s registration, forcing it to review its care standards and provide relevant information to CQC on how it planned to improve.
The CQC said that the concerns were so serious that inspectors decided to begin the process to cancel the provider’s registration.
Inspectors returned to the service in August and found many of the previous concerns had not been addressed fully, such as the lack of a registered manager and staff recruitment and training.
Following this inspection two fixed penalty notices totalling £2500 were issued to the provider because they failed to inform CQC of notifiable deaths and serious incidents.
The registered provider, Allcare Community Care Services Trafford Limited, appealed against the CQC’s decision, to close the service, to the Care Standards Tribunal which began to hear the case on March 4.
After hearing the evidence, the Care Standards Tribunal ruled in CQC’s favour on 26 March 2019. The service is now no longer registered with CQC.
Sue Howard, deputy chief inspector of Adult Social Care, said: “Despite the service being placed into special measures and restrictions being imposed, as well as warned we would take further enforcement action, the provider continued to ignore our concerns.
“Having found continued areas of poor care and given no credible assurance that the quality of the care would improve we were left no option but to seek the removal of the provider’s registration.
“We monitored the service closely, alongside North Tyneside Council who have supported people to find alternative care arrangements, and found little sign of improvement.
“Our highest priority is the safety and well-being of those in care, we will not hesitate to use our enforcement powers to ensure those people are kept safe.”